Saturday, November 6, 2010

Blessings of the Day

Happy Daylight Savings weekend from our current house, River's Edge Bungalow! I meant to write yesterday, but as so often happens, the day got away from me. It wasn't a hectic day, but I just never got back once the day started.


I woke yesterday in no hurry to do anything, and though I'm not much into doing a lot for breakfast, I felt like cooking. I offered Fidget what I was cooking: a cheese omelet, tiny sausages, which I am crazy for although I don't eat them often, and toast. Fidget said she wanted a Pop Tart. I was floored that she'd pick that over a home made meal. She had her Pop long before my breakfast was ready, so once it was ready I sat by myself in the dining room with my breakfast and a book. What a welcome feeling for someone who doesn't often get time alone these days. I looked around me and relished the food, savored its flavor, enjoyed the coziness of the house, the light. I sat there and rejoiced in the whole experience. I thought about how many people go hungry, and wondered, despite my prayers, how often I am truly thankful for the blessings of the day.


Fidget picking the Pop Tart started me thinking too, about how often I forgo blessings by choosing what comes easily. My thoughts veered off to the question, does God make us work for blessings? No, blessings from God are freely given despite our inability to earn them, that's grace, but we certainly can choose a path of settling for good when God would want the best for us. How often do I do that? It's something to think about this morning- a Pop Tart weekend morning for both of us- as I enjoy the blessings of the day.


Next week I will start showing some art, maybe some house pics. For now, it's time to work on my secret Christmas projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment