Tuesday, November 16, 2010

These days I am enjoying Alexander McCall Smith's No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. In The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, the main character, Mma Ramotswe, thinks about all the bad in the world. It can be overwhelming, but what is there to combat it? "...small acts of helping others, if one could; small ways of making one’s own life better: acts of love, acts of tea, acts of laughter. Clever people might laugh at such simplicity, but, she asked herself, what was their own solution?" 

In the series Mma Ramotswe seems to be a Christian, yet that is not what the books are about. Whether Christian or not, we all want to make the world better. This quote struck me because it got me thinking about what we can each do. Making our own lives better, ironically, comes from doing things not for ourselves but for others. Christ came and showed us the way to do this. He showed us there is no one insignificant, no one not worth His time. In my quiet house at dawn it is hard for me to imagine having a big impact on people. But the little things we do to help, to encourage others really can make a difference.

5 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read this series...it's been on my list for awhile. You are making a difference...your prayers and thoughtful words are always a big encouragement to me! Thank you! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole, and I do highly recommend the series. It is perfectly charming, and reaffirming about the good in the world. I am all for escapist literature, usually mysteries. I was told by someone once that people who like mysteries want there to be neat and tidy endings in life. I think that's true! :l

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still talking about some of the impact you've had...and it all started with one of those "acts of tea"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea is one of my favorite things! I do find the best moments can be those shared with a friend over tea. At those times the bad things seem not so bad because our burdens are shared. And the good things are only magnified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote and the idea of 'acts of tea'. I think you are very right, that great ministry takes place over a cup of tea... or coffee!!

    ReplyDelete